(No Streamables tonight, so we’ll make do with random GIFs and videos. If you don’t see any highlights, they may have been stripped due to you being on mobile. Click the score link to open the highlight.)
There were no goals scored in the second, but the Bruins came apart early in the third.
But that would end up being it, as the B’s couldn’t muster anything else in the final minute.
Bruins lose, 3-2.
- At this point, there’s not a ton left to say about this team. They’re hard to watch right now. The offense is as anemic as anemic can be, with the team seeming to hope David Pastrnak can create magic on his own. The power play wasn’t a weapon again tonight, and lines 3 and 4 were nowhere to be found. The Bruins couldn’t beat Tampa last year as a one-line team; they’re sure not going to beat them right now as a 0.333-line team.
- David Krejci had a pretty solid game tonight, continuing a quietly solid season. He has 20 points in 28 games.
- Tampa needed talent to finish them, but all three Lightning goals tonight came off of Bruin turnovers: Charlie McAvoy slipped on the puck on the first goal, and the B’s turned it over at each blueline on the second and third goals. They needed to play close to perfect to beat Tampa tonight. Tampa is too good to get gift-wrapped goals.
- Speaking of McAvoy, he had a tough first period but improved as the night went on. His second period was particularly strong, which is encouraging going forward.
- Sean Kuraly played just over 8:02 tonight. He’s likely headed for the 9th floor for a game or two sooner rather than later.
- Brad Marchand tonight reminded me of Brad Marchand in the playoff series back in the spring: just doing too much. He can’t be criticized for lack of effort, landing six shots on goal. But there are too many hope plays, too many extra dekes. It’s hard to blame him, with the entire team pressing for goals.
- Weird to see Steven Stamkos so quiet tonight. The fact that Tampa cruised with him being fairly invisible goes to show how deep Tampa is.
- How heavily are the Bruins relying on their big guns? Krejci, Marchand and Pastrnak all skated at or over 20 minutes tonight (20:05, 20:59, 19:33).
- The Leafs, headed into town on Saturday night, lost to Detroit tonight in overtime.
See ya Saturday!